At COP26, Husk Power Systems Announces 7 Ambitious Targets to Scale the Rural Energy Economy and Minigrids in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia by 2030
FORT COLLINS, 11 November 2021 — At the SDG7 Pavilion today at COP26, Husk Power Systems (huskpowersystems.com), the rural clean energy services leader in Africa and Asia, put forward a bold agenda to scale the rural energy market by 2030. Husk also called on governments, financiers and other companies to increase their level of ambition to achieve the full potential of minigrids and other rural clean energy services.
In total, Husk Power announced 7 targets, including:
- Building at least 5,000 renewable energy minigrids to power rural communities, businesses and households in Sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia, including India and Nigeria
- Connecting at least 1 million customers, including micro- small- and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs)
- Benefitting at least 11 million served by Husk Power’s minigrids and other energy services
- Providing power to at least half a million (500,000) MSMEs, with specific focus on productive use applications including agricultural activities such as irrigation, agro-processing and cold chain
- Installing at least 500MW of rural commercial & industrial (C&I) through Husk Power’s turnkey rooftop installation business
- Selling at least 5 million energy efficient appliances for both household use and for productive uses, including agricultural activities, while also providing financing to increase accessibility of such appliances
- Displacing 7Mt of CO2, thereby reducing diesel consumption by 687 million gallons
“As rural electrification in Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia rises to the forefront of international development and climate equity, it is critical that the private sector meet the opportunity by having ready a robust pipeline of bankable, shovel-ready projects, and the ability to execute at scale,” said Husk Power CEO and co-founder Manoj Sinha. “We not only want to challenge ourselves to achieve greater scale, but also to raise the level of ambition of government, finance and industry stakeholders.”
Husk Power is the industry leader, with more than 130 minigrids in operation in India, Nigeria and Tanzania, more than 6,000 MSME customers and also the highest revenue per customer and the lowest cost solution.
About Husk Power Systems
Founded in 2008, Husk Power Systems is the leading rural clean energy services company. Its smart and sustainable solutions accelerate access to clean, modern and affordable electricity in Africa and Asia and catalyze socio-economic development. Husk’s customer-centric culture also matches the growing needs of households, businesses, and public institutions, while its grid-integratable solution supports national electrification plans. For more information, visit huskpowersystems.com
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org — WhatsApp: +34 684314268